Well, when we started this blog we said we would share the successes and the failures. While I wouldn’t call the Banana Bread this weekend a total failure, it definitely wasn’t a success.
I don’t think I’ve talked about this here before, but the largest motivation in me starting to bake was watching The Great British Baking Show. It’s only appropriate that this week was bread week on the show – so I decided to try my hand at another kind of “bread”. Thank goodness Paul Hollywood didn’t have a chance to try this Banana Bread I made because he definitely would’ve called it “stodgy”.
All that to say… My husband and his family has been using this Banana Bread recipe for years. In fact, my mother-in-law’s Banana Bread is one of my favorites! However, for some reason, this recipe never quite turns out for me like it does for her or my husband. I think it’s because I usually prefer butter over shortening and I get a little heavy handed with the banana. Regardless, the bread still tasted good, just wasn’t quite right.
Here is the recipe…
If you do try this one, here is where I went wrong:
- I put WAY too much banana – which resulted in the heavy/ “stodgy” texture. Try to stick to the 1 cup mashed ripe banana.
- Use shortening instead of butter here – it’s not really 1:1 when you substitute these for each other. If you do use butter, let it come to room temp before you cream it with the sugar. I struggled a bit here because my butter was too cold.
- Mine needed a good 65 minutes in the oven before it was ready. Honestly, I wish I had left it in for a couple minutes longer. Just make sure a toothpick is coming out clean across the whole loaf.
- I added 1/2 a bag of chocolate chips, which I think was my saving grace. Nothing with chocolate chips tastes bad 🙂
- GREASE THE PAN WELL WITH BUTTER/ FLOUR. I used Pam and this is what happened (in all fairness, the can was almost empty so I don’t think a lot came out when I sprayed)…
If you are in the mood for Banana Bread (or something similar), here are some other recipes I’ve found online/ gotten from friends and family that they have had success with! I might try some of these later this week.
- https://thesaltymarshmallow.com/best-banana-bread-recipe/ – Banana Bread recipe with butter instead and has a lot of great reviews!
- https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/harvest-spice-bread/ – This bread has pumpkin and apples in it, but my mom made it and it was delicious!! Definitely tastes like Fall.
- https://www.bakingwithjoshandange.com/apple-fritter-mini-loaves – These guys have tons of yummy bread recipes, but these just look delicious!
Let me know if you try any. Happy baking!