I cannot believe Christmas is almost here! While 2020 has definitely been an interesting year, part of me feels like it’s flown by. I think there is a piece of me that still thinks it’s March.
Anyways… As I mentioned last week, I love Christmas baking. Well, really I love eating Christmas treats (or treats of any kind). There is something special though about those festive red and green M&M’s to make a dessert really pop. Well I’ve got an easy one for you today! A friend of mine posted this on Instagram and it looked too good not to try. This recipe would be perfect if you normally give Christmas treats as gifts – the recipe is quick, easy, yummy, and makes a LOT.
Here are the ingredients I used…
– 1 bag of microwave popcorn – I just used movie theater butter, since I already had it at home.
– 1 16oz bag of pretzels – I bought the mini ones and they were perfect.
– 1 12oz box of Chex cereal – I just bought the plan Chex.
– 2 bags of white chocolate chips – The more the better! I actually bought 1 bag of white chocolate melting wafers and 1 bag of white chocolate chips – it didn’t matter either way.
– 1 bag of Christmas M&M’s – I went to 2 grocery stores to find these, it just makes the snack so festive!
– 1 box of mini candy canes or peppermint pieces – You really can use whatever peppermint pieces you want. I bought an 8oz box of mini candy canes and it was perfect – it’s really up to you on how much peppermint to use.
Here is what you’ll need to do…
– Pull out 2 large mixing bowls – this will make it easier to mix in the white chocolate later.
– Pour half the box of Chex in each bowl, half the bag of popcorn in each, and then half the bag of pretzels. Then mix together. You should be left with 2 large mixing bowls of popcorn/ pretzel/ Chex mixture.
– Prep the candy canes (if needed) – You are going to want to crush the candy canes so that you have small peppermint pieces ready.
– Melt the white chocolate – this can be tricky! Be careful not to burn it. I followed the instructions on the white chocolate wafer bag and ran my microwave on the defrost setting, melting the chocolate in 30 second increments until melted. Stir after each increment of microwaving.
– Split the white chocolate into the 2 bowls and mix throughly until all the pieces are covered in white chocolate.
– Mix in 3/4 of the peppermint pieces across the 2 bowls.
– Mix in 3/4 of the M&Ms across the 2 bowls.
– Roll out a strip of tin foil on the counter and spread the mixture out, so that it has a chance to harden on a flat surface (ideally avoiding large clumps).
– Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 of M&Ms and peppermint pieces on top of the mixture.
– Let harden and voila! You are done!
This was so yummy, so you’ll have to let me know if you try it. Happy baking(ish)!
Rooking Rating: 5/5