It’s me, back at it again with a sweet popcorn mix! Honestly, I think I love sweet popcorn so much because it reminds me of growing up and spending time at my grandparents’ house. My grandmother always had caramel popcorn on hand and it quickly became our go-to snack for movie nights. Spending time with them and that sweet popcorn snack made movie nights so much better.
I found this recipe that I started with from Baking with Josh and Ange. I loved this recipe because it was really quick and I already had a lot of the ingredients on hand. I’m always looking for recipes that I can whip up in a pinch to carry to a friend’s house or if we are having people over last minute.
Here is what you’ll need..
- 1 bag of microwave popcorn – I just used the movie theater butter kind I had on hand
- ~6 oz of mini pretzels – You can edit this based on how much you like pretzels. I tried to go for a 50/50 mix with the popcorn, but you could easily go lighter or heavier. I will say… The “mini” part is important here – The mini pretzels balance well with the small pieces of popcorn. If you only have larger pretzels, I wouldn’t add as many (maybe half the amount)
- 1 stick of butter – I used salted
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- ~10 large marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 cup of M&M’s
- Sea salt to taste
Here is what you’ll need to do…
- Start by popping your popcorn – be careful not to burn it!
- Prepare your “prep area” – this was a great tip. I used 1 baking sheet lined with tin foil (or parchment paper). The tin foil or parchment paper is important because this stuff gets SO sticky. It was MUCH easier cleanup to just throw away the tin foil rather than scrub my baking sheet.
- Distribute your popcorn and pretzels on the baking sheet, so that you have an even mixture. Make sure you sort out any un-popped kernels from your popcorn. This can be an unfortunate thing to crunch down on if left in the mix.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the stick of butter over medium heat
- Once melted, add in your brown sugar and stir constantly until boiling. The original recipe calls for corn syrup here – I think you can skip that. The corn syrup adds a layer of stickiness I don’t think you need (given you add marshmallows later).
- Once boiled, reduce the heat to medium/ low and add in your 10 marshmallows. Stir this until the marshmallows are completely melted.
- Once the mixture is melted, immediately pour it on top of the pretzel/ popcorn baking sheet. I then used my spoon to distribute my sauce evenly over all the pretzels/ popcorn. Beware… This hardens quick and gets really sticky!
- Once I got an even mix, I then sprinkled M&M’s over the top until I felt like I had enough distributed. At this point, the sauce really started to harden though, so it’s difficult to get the M&M’s evenly spaced. Don’t get stressed – just make sure you have a little in each area.
- Sprinkle sea salt on top to finish
- Almost immediately, I separated my finished mixture from the tin foil and put it right into plastic containers to store. Since the sauce hardens really quickly, it was much easier to get it off the tin foil sooner rather than later.
Well…. That concludes my 2nd sweet popcorn recipe! This definitely won’t be the last, but I really hope you like this one. It was quick and yummy!